Monday 3 June 2013

Woodwork and Flowers

Some things are meant for each other, strawberries and cream, G&T, cheese and chutney (ok Branston then) but probably not woodwork and flowers - but that is what inspired me this evening. Though it didn't start well - my better half took one look at my jeans which by this time were covered in sawdust and said "You're not going to sit down inside with those on!". I didn't take that as a promising offer given the despairing look on her face!

I managed to cut the ply for the inner parts of the stock and even managed to fit the rudder to make sure it would turn correctly. In fact that still needs a bit of adjustment before I'm happy with it and the stock needs a lot of trimming but I'm quite pleased with the progress. It almost looks like it was meant to go together. I'm aware the proper shape would have filled the whole of the stock base but to look a gift horse....... neigh!



Looks a little better in the raised position but once it's in the water..... and yes it does go higher

Once I had cleared all the tools away and swept up the sawdust I took a quick look at the garden before heading in to prepare dinner and realised some of the flowers were at their peak. I'm not normally a great fan of blooms, in spite of the Cherry and Japanese Magnolia in earlier blogs, but these are stunning.

The alliums we planted early last year and they gave a good display then but they are coming into their own now while the Azalea we have had in its pot for many years but and always blooms well.


Wonderfully architectural 

Blooms everywhere

I will be athletics coaching tomorrow night so it will be Wednesday before I manage to do the next task, though in the meantime I intend to buy some thinners for the Hempel varnish I bought in Wroxham and find some stainless screws to pull all the layers of the stock together. Then it will be on to the bulkheads.

1 comment: