Sunday 9 June 2013

Screwfix Addiction

Today I managed to spend a couple of hours working on the project and managed to prepare the stock for glueing and varnishing.

The first task was to screw the assembly together so that it was firmly located and could be disassembled. I had purchased some stainless steel screws from Screwfix - 50mm x 5 self-tapping. However they still required a 4mm pilot hole before I could screw them in.

I had tried a number of ways to finish the edges of the ply assembly including a belt sander and a file. However I decided that what I really needed was a Surform and a proper rasp - another trip to Screwfix! So in a couple of hours I had faired everything off ready for final filling and sanding.


Beginning to look like a proper job but still needs filling and sanding

I then cut the forward bulkhead out ready for epoxy coating and fitting next weekend. I've decided that while I measured the rear bulkhead carefully I should also create a template for it before finally cutting the ply, as I had for the forward one. Hopefully I will have time to do that during the week.

Hope it fits!

No comments:

Post a Comment