Saturday 13 April 2013

Onwards and Upwards

Managed to at least apply some soapy water to her topside yesterday afternoon before the heavens opened and the cockpit started to fill up with water. I haven't had time to investigate yet but it seems the cockpit drain runs straight into the bottom of the hull rather than being connected to the outside so there's water in the bilges.

The top has severe acne. It has clearly suffered from gelcoat rot at some time but the filling has been hamfisted - and that's being kind. So I think that each repair is going to have to be eventually removed and properly reinforced and mended - but that shouldn't stop her going in the water as long as I'm not too precious about how she looks. Then I'll be able to work on each repair one at a time until they are all finished and then paint the whole boat - while still being able to sail in the meantime.

I also put the mast up just to see what needed doing to the rigging. I'm pretty convinced it's not an original mast as the forestay was too long while the shrouds seem about right. So the forestay will need to be altered - another new skill to learn!

I haven't had the chance to get inside yet - it's a bit of a mess - and I have grandchildren to look after tomorrow so probably won't happen until next weekend.

However back to the trip from Poole. I now have the pictures from the trip so have put a selection here as part of the story. The good news is that the trailer itself has not rusted through, it was the suspension strut that I suspect was an Indespension unit, which I understand is prone to the brown stuff as it has a box section that can't be accessed with any form of rust preventer. So two new struts, a pair of new bearings. some elbow grease and Hammerite and we should be good to go (told you I was an optimist!).

I understand from Dr. Dyl that it's not possible to leave messages on this blog. I'm not sure why that is as the settings are correct to allow comments so I'll have to investigate. I'll publish when I've discovered what's wrong.


Jaqueline looking a little sorry for herself

JB not convinced I know what I'm doing!
He's probably right
Ready for her new life

 
Boat and trailer with a list - bit of a problem, particularly at the end of the journey!


Trying to work out how to offload her - note strategically placed dolly

At her new home proudly watching the world go by - well at least a few cars, pedestrians and the never ending dog walkers


3 comments:

  1. perfect little creek crawler you have there

    have you got an outboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon,

    Unfortunately she's more of a kerb crawler at the moment - lots of work to do.

    I don't have an outboard yet - thinking I might invest in a Seagull in a reasonable state as it will be relatively light and will match the age of the boat. We'll see.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete